I am a big fan of soup, although my family thinks it is just my way of getting rid of everything left in the refrigerator on the weekend (they’re not too far off, but I protest loudly and pretend they’re wrong). I recently cleaned out the fridge and came up with one of my best concoctions yet (which means I was able to convince my husband and part of my kids to have a bowl). In case you enjoy soup, here is the basic recipe – but feel free to substitute with what you have in the pantry and fridge. Just leave out the jello; that’s going a bit too far.
Creamy Green Chile Chicken Soup
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (16 oz.) can stewed chopped tomatoes, Italian style
- 2 cups low salt beef broth
- 1/2 cup roasted potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green chile
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, whisked into soup
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
Heat in crockpot or simmer on stove until thoroughly heated and vegetables are soft.
Approximately 250 calories per serving (4 generous servings / recipe).
Serve sprinkled with grated asiago or parmesan cheese